Wednesday, March 5

Escudella i carn d'olla

Our lunch today was the most typical dish in Catalan cuisine: escudella. It's a winter stew with lots of vegetables, meat and soup that is usually served in two parts, first the soup with pasta (tiny type of pasta) or rice, and then the meat with vegetables seasoned with just olive oil and a bit of salt. I use my mom's recipe, and I prepared two big meatballs with minced meat, egg, garlic, parsley and minced bread, made a soup with carrots, leek, celery, turnip, cabbage and pieces of lamb, veal, chicken and pork. When the meat was soft enough I took it out of the pot and prepared the two separate dishes. It's laborious... and I actually began making it the day before... here are some pics...

This is the minced meat, bread and egg I used...


I used frozen garlic and parsley cubes (that's not in my mom's recipe, she'd say this is not healthy, but this way your hands don't stink of garlic)


This is what we call "pilota" which is made of minced meat. It's actually like big meatballs...


We always cook and season with olive oil


On another note... it's been more than three months since H had his last seizure... I almost don't dare say it...

4 comments:

Winfred Mann said...

Looks very tasty.

James Shott said...

I like the "sound of the taste," and the pics are helpful in trying to imagine the complete dish.

I'm pleased to see this recent flourish of posts, Nuri.

I hope H continues on this trend of non-events.

Nuri said...

Thank you... I forgot... we also add potatoes!!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Yum!!! Man, you are doing awesome with the posts!!!!