Monday, November 26

Damn pattern

I know I'm late, but I think I set myself some unrealistic standards!!
When I said I was anxious that hubby had not had a seizure in almost two months it's because so far, his condition seems to follow this pattern. In a way we were both happy that he seemed to be doing fine but at the same time, we knew we wouldn't be completely satisfied until we could say "it's been more than two months... more than three... " and we could leave epilepsy behind. But, he had a seizure yesterday (sunday). I was making lunch and he took the girls to a park nearby. Almost one hour later my cell phone rang. It was him except the voice on the end was not him, it was a woman. "Hello, you don't know me but we're here at the park and..." I didn't let her finish: "it's my husband? He had a seizure?". "Yes, but he's ok now, he's sleeping, we called an ambulance and I'm with your daughters"... She sounded calm. So I rushed to the park. There were some people gathered around him, and my daughters were playing with other kids. Thank god they all helped us. We don' really know these people, but we usually meet at this park, so we've actually seen each other before. When his seizure was over they went through his pockets, found his cell phone and tried to find a number that read "home" or something similar. The funny thing is they first called a restaurant without knowing, because it was listed under "Grandma's" which is the name of the restaurant :-)
So the ambulance came, they didn't take him to the hospital because I said no (I know it's no use, they would just refer us to his epileptologist) and instead took him to what we call a CAP (Primary attention center would be the rough translation). He just lay on some kind of stretcher and waited to be fully recovered. The doctor checked his eyes, coordination and such and after a while he said we could leave. This process is just like suddenly turning the computer off if you know what I mean. His brain shuts down suddenly and then he has to recover all the programs on his "hard disk" and that's kind of slow and disquieting. He mumbles incoherent things and slowly remembers people, places and bits of information. But when the reality of what had happened struck him, he was on the verge of tears and I hate to see him like that. He felt he was almost making it... it would have been two months... but no... We'll go see his epileptologist today.
I called my sister and she took care of the girls, and took them to a fashion show. My mother sells bridal gowns and she had some of her dresses on this show. I took some pics in the afternoon...

4 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Man this may be dumb of me to say and you may find absolutely not comfort in it whatsoever, but since this most recent episode - will it most likely be another 2 months before this happens again? I'm sure not matter how many times this takes place it doesn't get any easier for you, all I can say is, my heart goes out to you.
Glad to see a post, don't feel guilty or set unrealistic goals for yourself blogging is supposed to be enjoyable, do it when you feel compelled to............

Buffalo said...

Sorry that this continues, Nuri. It has to be difficult for all of you.

Nuri said...

Thank you!
It's not dumb, Jessica, I tell myself the same thing sometimes but it's not realistic either. It could actually happen anytime. We're kind of getting used to it, but we won't. We have to find something! I'll post sometime soon about our visit with his doctor... Thanks again!

James Shott said...

So sorry, Nuri. I can't imagine what this is like for you. Never knowing if or when.

Keep us posted.