Sunday, January 6

Exhausted

I'm exhausted. I feel I've been on a marathon for the last two days. Yesterday we went to see the three kings (the wise men) arrive, and this morning the children opened up their presents. I've been either assembling things, putting batteries in toys or picking wrapping paper and carton boxes... I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

My MIL told me today that Alicia said to her "I like the other grandma better than you, she is nicer to me, gives us kisses and buys things". I don't like her saying any of that, but should I let this be a warning to MIL that she should be softer? Maybe hug the kids spontaneously??

5 comments:

Buffalo said...

Diplomatic or not, like it or not, kids speak the truth and that isn't a bad thing. At times it is embarassing, but not a bad thing.

James Shott said...

Here is one area where Buffalo and I agree.

We don't want our children to be rude or to say hurtful things to people (or to reveal embarrassing information to strangers [or friends, either!]), but sometimes the truth just comes out.

Maybe it will have a positive effect.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Ahhh there's nothing like the candid mind of a child........

Susan said...

I'm surprised you MIL even shared that with you. One would hope she would learn from it, though why do you think she told you?

Nuri said...

Cairogal, I think she was surprised. And she was asking for reassurance, probably. I just confirmed that my mother indeed is a "kissy" granny and that she buys far too many things, which is something I don't like. She didn't say much else... I know her own younger son (not my husband) told her once she needs to be nicer to kids, or they just won't like to be near her... It's not like she's an ogre (she's not) but she reminds me of a character in Heidi cartoons, Rottenmeier I think was her name. It's all about discipline, work... nothing about her is warm. I actually feel sad writing this. My husband doesn't even remember his mother ever hugging him.