Friday, May 9

My poor neglected blog



I took these pictures last month, on Saint George, which is a big holiday here. According to the legend, a knight (Saint George) saved a princess and an entire town from a fierce dragon. Where the dragon's blood fell, roses flourished so each year women get roses from their husbands/boyfriends/fathers, and women are supposed to buy a book for the men... Roses come in almost all colors. Our roses were classical red.


It's a very special day so even if you're working, most people can have a break from their job and stroll down our rambla...




There are groups of amateurs like these people representing the legend and playing music on the street... The woman in the picture above is actually the princess, and the guy in green next to her, the dragon.



This is what we call the "tarlà". According to another legend, he was some sort of acrobat who entertained the neighbours of Argenteria street during a quarantine for an epidemic. Now we have this acrobat toy hanging on Argenteria on special occasions. It rotates from time to time...



And this is Alicia, holding the rose her father gave her...
So what do you say, James, Buffalo, Jessica ... would you come over for a visit? ;-)

4 comments:

Buffalo said...

Lovely flowers.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Is that an official invite?! I look at the postcards you sent me, which are on my wall at work......Spain is definitely on my list!

I've never seen kaleidescope roses like in the top photo before, wonder how they get em' all those different colors?! Pretty crazy!

Alicia is growing UP! I swear she didn't look that old when I first stumbled upon your blog.....my how time flies :o)

No matter how long you stay away, I'll always come visit you here!! Google Reader is the best.....it tells me when you post something, then I hop on over :o)

Susan said...

Great shots, Nuri!

James Shott said...

I really like the pics of the festivities, particularly the musicians and dancers. And, of course, Alicia. And the flowers.

Yep, I'd come for a visit.

By the way, Nuri, you asked about an email about Queen Elizabeth. I can't find one. Could you resend it?