Wednesday, February 13

Random thoughts

WARNING: Grammatical, spelling mistakes ahead (I don't have the time to check)
I've been quite busy, I can only confirm that I am, indeed, a lousy blogger.
Other than that, no bad news in our household. It's been more than 2 months since H had his last seizure, so we're hopeful... However, the results on his sleep deprived EEG showed abnormal waves. The doctor said those waves shouldn't be there since he is on medication, but did not suggest a change. I guess he won't change his medication unless he has another seizure...
Just yesterday, we were having dinner, and Alicia asked out of the blue "Mom, what if you fall down like dad and it's just me and Cristina, what will happen to us?" It was totally unexpected since we had not been talking about it at all, in fact she seemed completely uninterested. I had tried to get her to tell me how she felt in the park when her dad had his seizure, but she refused to talk and I just let it go. But yesterday she gave me a full account of that day, and she seemed worried that it might happen to me or her... I told her it's a condition her father has, not me, and not her (let's not talk about genetics...) and that she should not worry because dad always recovers completely...

And now for something funny... my SIL went to the doctor because she had rash on the back of her neck. The doctor took a good look at her neck and head and then gave her the news: "ma'am, you have headlice!, do you have children?"
She was horrified. She's close to being a clean freak, her house is spotless, and changes his son's clothes if there so much as a tiny stain on them! The doctor actually explained that it does not mean she's dirty, that kids get them quite easily and sometimes pass them to adults, but she was sooo worried! I checked on Cristina, since the children had been playing together on sunday, and bought a special comb, but no lice or nits... Poor SIL

4 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Oh Nuri.....I missed you!!
Glad to know everything is going well, I'm hopeful that hubby will get over that hump you always talk about....
I had a little chuckle over SIL's misfortune.....I remember getting it ALL the time as a kid.....and I had really long hair, it would take my mom hours to get them all out!!!
Take Care.....

Buffalo said...

Happy that your much noticed absence from blogging was not caused by problems.

Michele said...

Hi Nuri
All I can suggest to you is to be completely honest about just what is going on with the seizures, what needs to be done, and what should not be done.

I know doing this can be difficult and confusing because parents want to protect their children. Parents and children need to be cautious, but not be overwhelmed with fear.

We can explain that a child or an adult may have a seizures some time, and show them how to handle a person with a seizure such as calling for help. With such information, there will be far less fear.

We also need to ensure that our children also know about epilepsy. It is important to be optimistic; it helps to see the glass as half filled, not half empty. It is important to look to the future and to be hopeful. The challenges that we face will change through time.
Good luck and I wish you and your family much happiness.
~Michele~

Nuri said...

Thank you all so much! I have no problems telling my eldest about seizures, but she's only 5 and in general seems completely uninterested, but I can tell she must have been scared and worried too... I'll tell her more about it as she grows, but I just will not train her yet to call me if anything happens, I feel it's too much of a responsibility for a kid her age. Instead, I never leave them alone with hubby. We will, in time...