Tuesday, October 24

Elections in Catalonia

There’s parliamentary elections in Catalonia next week. I had no idea that there was a group called Alternativa Española but I just saw their “ad” on TV. And well, it’s one of those that want to make you want to be afraid of almost everything. The world is a chaos and worse! Muslims are taking over Europe!.
There’s a law against racist/xenofobic parties, they are plain illegal but this one seems to have sneaked in. The former government had no problem in making Batasuna illegal because they did not condemn violence. Does anybody care about groups like this? If you’d like to see their ad, this is their web, scroll down and click where it says “visionar video electoral”. It’s in Spanish, but you’ll understand the message... Spain is breaking (Catalans are to blame but they omit this part in their Catalan campaign, otherwise they’d get next to 0 votes), too many immigrants, too many muslims... Their web page is called 12deoctubre, in a tribute to the “discovery” of America. And their poster (scroll down a bit more) portrays a blonde kid with the Spanish flag on his cheeks, and one of Columbus’ ships in the back. I wonder what good did Spaniards do to America?

4 comments:

James Shott said...

I know nothing of your political system or elections, but I think I'm pleased that Spain had something to do with the "discovery" of the New World.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be here.

Nuri said...

I think you'd have to thank the British, not the Spanish conquerors. Along with our discovery came the slaughter... (you had a great post about that)

Nuri said...

btw, it's interesting that you say you know nothing about something. Everyone these days seems to know everything about anything.

James Shott said...

Had it not been for the Spanish conquerors, some of whom were undeniably brutal, I wonder if the British would have known about the New World?

I try to be honest in my ruminations.