Wednesday, June 13

Again. He had another seizure this morning. I got home at 12 and called him. No answer. "Are you there??" I shouted. Nothing. I thought he must be taking a shower, since he had just gotten back from a soccer game. So I went into the bathroom, to find him lying on the floor, post-crisis, with a huge lump in his head... I called an ambulance, my legs shaking, and then I called a good friend. I couldn't bear to be alone this time, I don't know why. They arrived more or less at the same time. I haven't felt so bad since my grandmother died, and that was when I was eleven. I couldn't help thinking "is this some sort of punishment?" "Is it because I didn't keep my promise?" (you know...)
They had to give him anticonvulsionants because he had another seizure while the nurses were attending him, and then he was taken to the hospital. I've cried, I've wondered, I've felt guilty, for leaving him with the emergency staff while he was struggling to get the oxygen mask off his face. I know when he's post critic he hardly remembers anyone, so seeing me would have comforted him?? But I COULDN'T I can't bear to see someone I love so much looking so vulnerable and in pain.
He's recovering now, I've seen him and talked to him, and I'm going back to the hospital right now.
But this time I'll do what I promised, no matter what he says, no matter what I believe, which I still haven't really figured out... I still have issues with religion, but.... a promise is a promise... and a want my husband to grow old with me!! :-)
He's recovering now, I've seen him and talked to him.
PD: what we call social security seems to be working fine for us... funny I had posted about that only two days ago...
SOMEONE GIVE ME VALIUM!! (that whisky, James, would also work ;-)

7 comments:

Winfred Mann said...

I hope for a speedy recovery.

WM

Buffalo said...

Good thoughts coming your way. Be strong.

Nuri said...

Thank you, really... He's recovering, at home. We have another appointment with the neurologist so we'll see... I'll post some more about our particular ordeal... I'm tired but can't sleep.

James Shott said...

Nuri, I can only imagine how difficult and frightening this is for you.

All I can say is to hang in, and remember that you have some friends here that will gladly give you an ear or a shoulder to cry on.

Nuri said...

Thank you... I feel calmer now, but can't help being a bit sad, too. I think we won't be fully optimistic again until a whole year has passed without another seizure... And it's so scary. He doesn't remember anything, which I guess is good.

btw, James, I asked you something in my post about health, I guess you didn't see it, but I'm interested:
let's suppose I'm American, I've been feeling sick, have no insurance and go to the emergency room. They tell me it's cancer. Will they provide treatment or are they just supposed to diagnose me??
Or another example, I'm pregnant and go to the hospital to deliver the baby. Will they make me pay?

James Shott said...

I happy to hear that you are dealing with this situation.

As for your hypothetical situations, it depends upon whether you have health insurance, which I presume you would not in the situation you asked about, or whether you are covered by Medicare or Medicaid. These are government programs to provide healthcare to the elderly or to indigent patients.

It also would depend upon whether you were classified as an indigent patient that qualified for charity care, in which case you would not be billed for any hospital expenses.

So, I suppose the best I can do is to say "maybe, and maybe not." There are some cases where care would be provided free, or substantially paid for.

Abha Malpani said...

Nuri - my thoughts are with you. Stay strong.