Thursday, June 21

My MIL

She wanted to come with us to see the neurologist (Dr M). I understand, it's her son and she didn't know the doctor... but She really got on my nerves. We went in her car, and she managed to look angry, strict and concerned at the same time. I know both MIL and FIL are arranging a visit to another neurologist who works in southern France. Apparently, he's into alternative medicine or something like that. I've asked a few times what his name is, so that I can look up and try to find out what he really does, but both MIL and FIL are so secretive. So I asked again, did you find out his name?? In the end she told me, reluctantly, but the doctor's last name is so common I don't think I'll find out anything. She's loud. And sometimes has this "know-it-all" attitude I find so irritating. Like She knows the best way to get to the hospital, and don't try to tell her you know a better way. It doesn't matter that it's YOUR hometown, she knows best. Once we got to the hospital I said: "we could tell Dr M about this other type of therapy and see what he thinks..." And she just exploded: "IF YOU TELL HIM, I'LL GET VERY ANGRY!!!" I just felt like telling her to go to hell, but said: "Calm down, I thought we could talk about it..." Hubby was ahead of us, and not really interested in getting into the conversation. There was no point, really. Later I told him, "why does your mother have to be so grouchy all the time?" and he just said "when you said she was coming with us, I warned you..."
btw, went to get an appointment for an MRI, and it was kind of like a joke: the nurse asked him when are you scheduled to visit DrM again? He said October, and She said: "We'll try to do your MRI before that". ???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ranting over. For now.

5 comments:

James Shott said...

Nuri, I certainly hope that the neurologist can solve this mystery and stabilize your husband's condition. Please excuse this crass point on U.S. healthcare, but here the MRI likely would be scheduled in a day or two, or immediately in an emergency.

Mothers-in-law can, indeed, be a challenge. My own MiL is a sweet lady at heart, and is very caring and considerate of others. Except for one primary area: She often has to be the center of attention. As an example, she can be in another room and will come into the room where the rest of us are involved in a conversation, and in a loud voice interject something that either does or doesn't have anything to do with our topic, and do so in a way that our conversation is interrupted. It's very irritating. I don't think she even realizes what she is doing; it is a well-incorporated part of her personality.

I don't know if you have ever visited a site that I link to on Observations, "Opinions of a Kashmiri Nomad?" I suppose it would be too much of a coincidence, but there is an odious character who comments there who calls himself/herself "Dr. M." If this is your husbands neurologist, I hope Dr. M is a more competent physician than his/her comments tell us.

Buffalo said...

Sounds to me as though dear M-I-L needs a lesson in both manners and roles.

I'm pulling for you and your husband, Nuri. I know it is very difficult for both of you.

Susan said...

I've got your husband's health in my thoughts, Nuri. Apparently those traist you described are internationally common among MILs...or is just those from the Mediterranean? ;-)

Nuri said...

Thank you all, I never thought comments from e-friends would help, but they do.
James, of course I've visited the Kashmiri, it's on my links too, and we've often commented on the same post, where's your memory??
;-)

I think I'll use our contact in the hospital to get his MRI done as fast as possible. DrM (not that one, James) is confident there's nothing wrong in his brain, as he alredy had a scan done (CT) and showed nothing bad, but MRI is more accurate.

James Shott said...

Duh! Where's my memory, indeed?

Sorry about that.

The MRI is definitely a superior study in many cases. And, yes, you should take advantage of the opportunity for an earlier scan.

Keep us posted.