Tuesday, June 12

I'm thinking of quitting my job and try to teach English to 12-14 year old kids. Long ago I took a test that, in theory, states that I actually can teach the language. I say in theory because I took that test when I was 19 and I was quite more fluent in English back then... but still, I have that paper that proves I CAN do it. I talked to a teacher friend and she warned me that kids are not what we used to be...
-Really? I said, you mean they don't stand up when the teacher enters the class?
(she's still laughing...)
When I went to school (in my bubble-like catholic for girls only cute school) we had to perform certain rituals. You had to stand up when the teacher entered the class. Listening, or at least being quiet was a must, and very few dared to disobey. The teachers were quite respected, but it seems like nowadays, many parents tend to automatically side with their kid when there's a conflicting situation. Their perfect child is never wrong. That was not my case!
Well, it seems now that a lot more pressure is placed on teachers, they're supposed to teach and tame/educate at the same time... Still, I might try...
Everything should be fine, since I'm perfect, according to my 4 year old! Just take a look at this "portrait of mom" done by Alice. I couldn't look better!


In her drawings, I'm always floating. Husband asked her: "So, when will you draw me?" And she said: "Well, maybe at school, when they ask me to draw the family..." ha ha ha

3 comments:

Winfred Mann said...

That's funny Nuri, standing up when the teacher enters the room.

James Shott said...

I taught in U.S. public schools for 8 years, ending in 1986. Even then the evidence was there that the public school system was in trouble. Today, political correctness and foolish "educationist" theories have taken over, our schools have dropped precipitously in results compared internationally, and there isn't enough money to lure me back into the classroom.

From your comment, it sounds as if kids in Spain are not so different than those in the U.S.

If you follow through with this idea, good luck to you.

Abha Malpani said...

You will love teaching English to children! I say go for it.